Join Team CA in our second year up Mt. Baldy to support a great cause, Heart for Africa.
If you joined last year, we'd love to have you again and ask you to bring even more family and friends. It was an amazing experience and it has been awesome to see how much good the funds raised in 2011 have already done. Read on for more details. Also, visit our Facebook Page and if ready to register, go here - http://summit4hope2012.eventbrite.com
Hope to see you there!
DETAILS ABOUT THE EVENT:
A group of big-hearted, high-energy Heart for Africa volunteers have designed a creative and exciting way to raise funds for Project Canaan in Swaziland. It started with the idea of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, East Africa, and has grown to include climbing in Taiwan, Canada, Kenya, Swaziland, and four states in the United States, with all teams summiting on June 30, 2012. Imagine people reaching to some of the highest points on earth to bring HOPE to a country filled with orphans and vulnerable children?
The 2011 Summit 4 HOPE event was a tremendous success! Not only did each team raise a tremendous amount of awareness, but collectively they were able to raise over $100,000! It is amazing what can happen when groups band together under a common vision!
The 2012 Summit 4 HOPE event has an even greater goal, and more teams. This year, we want to raise $125,000 for water projects on Project Canaan. As you know, water is life. Without it, we cannot grow the crops we need for the various feeding programs in which we are involved or be able to support the growing number of orphans who now call Project Canaan home. We need your help to build dams, dig wells and bore holes, and install irrigation!
On June 30th, please join us as 9 teams from around the globe all summit a mountain (or in the case of Taiwan, one of the world’s tallest buildings) to bring water, and HOPE, to a nation in desperate need of both.
- Mt. Kenya Team – Robert Smucker
- Team Taiwan – Frances Chou
- Team Swaziland - Anthony Mutua
- Team Colorado – Laurie Wagner
- Team Hawaii I – Howard Hodel
- Team Hawaii II - Larenda Bailey
- Team California – Wolfgang Buehler / Zack Swire
- Team Georgia - Bree Friedl / Jenny Keeton
- Team Canada - Ruth Noble / Bobby Ramjist
Each team will plan accordingly to arrive at the summit of their mountain on June 30th. Each team will have their picture taken with a Heart for Africa flag at the summit of their mountain.
- Mt. Kenya (19,340’) in Moshi Tanzania, the tallest mountain in Africa
- Taipai 101 (once the tallest building in the world (2,046 steps).
- Mt. Hope - (3,727’) the highest point at Project Canaan
- Mt. Plymouth (14,433’) in Colorado, the second tallest mountain in the lower 48
- Mt. San Antonio (Mt. Baldy) (10,068') the highest point in Los Angeles County
- Mt. Ka'ala (4,025') the tallest mountain in the Waianae range on Oahu
- Mt. Mauna Kea (13,796’) the tallest mountain in Hawaii
- Stone Mountain (1,686') the world's largest piece of exposed granite
- Algonquin Park (1,466 square miles) the oldest provincial park in Canada
While the entire SUMMIT 4 HOPE event will raise $125,000, the Team California goal is to raise $20,000.
3 HIKING OPTIONS - 2.5 miles, 4.5 miles and 8 miles
For Hikers, once you register to hike, we'll email you more details regarding details for the day of the hike. There are 3 hiking options for different hiking comfort levels. We are shooting to Summit at 11AM. The core route is 4.5 miles and takes about 4 to 5 hours. You may opt for a longer route of 8 miles or go for the chair lift and take the shorter 2.5 mile route. Thus, the starting times will depend on which route you take. If you have questions, please ask.
TEAM CA SUBTEAMS:
Team CA is broken into subteams. You've probably been contacted by a team leader from one of our roughly 10 or so subteams. You may choose which team you'd like to hike with or just join in.
Once you've registered or donated, please share this event with your family, friends and coworkers to ask for their support via donations. You may use the links provided or cut and paste from below...
Your Event URL: http://summit4hope2012.eventbrite.com
Share on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/summit4hope2012