UPDATE: Tear Gas Ends 10-Hour Armed Standoff, Suspect Surrenders

An armed man who barricaded himself inside his home for 10 hours surrendered to police just before 1 a.m. Wednesday after SWAT officers fired tear gas into the house.

SWAT team members fired two different kinds of tear gas into a Monrovia house Wednesday before an armed felon finally surrendered to police, ending a as negotiators tried to convince the man to give up.

"Once they introduced the gas into the house, he came out and we got him in custody," Chief Jim Hunt said early Wednesday morning. "Once you get tear gassed it pretty much incapacitates you for anything but trying to get out of there."

Police got a call from a friend of the man at about 3 p.m. Tuesday warning that the man was suicidal, Hunt said.

"We got a call from a friend who said he was despondent and thought he was going to take his life," Hunt said.

The suspect was identified as 35-year-old David Hipkins of Monrovia, Sgt Michael Head said. He was booked on charges of possession of a firearm by a felon.

Police tried to communicate with Hipkins outside his home in the 800 block of W. Duarte Road for hours, eventually resorting to the use of tear gas to get the man out. The first round of gas didn't work, but he walked out peacefully following a second round of stronger gas, Hunt said.

Police also fired several flash-bang grenades in an attempt to get Hipkins' attention and repeatedly tried to communicate via loudspeaker from an armored vehicle.

An apartment building across the street from the house was evacuated and the Red Cross was on scene to aid those displaced.

Police would not identify the man early Wednesday because he had not been booked. He is expected to be booked on weapons charges because, as a felon, he is not allowed to possess a gun, Hunt said.

The Foothill Special Enforcement Team set up a command center at a nearby school where police operations were directed as the incident unfolded. Police units from Glendora, Irwindale, La Verne and Baldwin Park assisted.

Rain30033 June 27, 2012 at 09:11 AM
Could anyone tell me can I go home now?
Citzen June 27, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Wow it sounded much closer. I'm near old town and the bangs sounded like they were nearby, Glad the guy didn't end up dead1
Anna Grise June 28, 2012 at 01:11 AM
My boyfriend lives rt next door 2 this guy. My boyfriend also told me tht it was a scary situation. Im glad no1 was hurt.
Lynn Fischer June 30, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Who wasn't hurt?
Lynn Fischer June 30, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Someone just deleted my comment here? Who and why? It was not inappropriate; I only pointed out that it was not a totally noninjury event. Also, however, I'm confused as to which article I'm really commenting on. One said that a felon' (they usually report what the felony was) threatened to kill himself. The other only said a man threatened to kill the police. Seriously - is this the same article?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »